This is Version Two of the proposed painting for The Underground Girl.
For reasons only interesting to me, I tried raw sienna rather than yellow ochre for this one.
This is mostly casein with just the addition of lemon yellow gouache paint I have in stock.
While working on this one, I was reminded of one of the reasons I went away from painting with gouache: the white disappears as it dries. So I ended up switching midway through to casein white.
The primary issue I’d been having with casein, prompting a return to gouache, is the lack of availability of a yellow that isn’t cadmium-based; I’m avoiding heavy metal pigments on principle.
Now that I’ve mixed gouache with casein, it seems to me that the gouache possibly mixes better than two caseins together. More experimenting is called for…
I created a blow-by-blow account of the painting process of this one:
Continue reading 2018-09-03 Laurelhurst Park, summer